23 Jul 2010

VirtualBox fails to start on Ubuntu 10.04

Everytime I try to start a Virtual Machine (VM ) using VirtualBox in Ubuntu (right now I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 - Lucid Lynx ) I get an error as follows:

Failed to start the virtual machine UbuntuServer_9.10_32b.
VirtualBox can't operate in VMX root mode. Please disable the KVM kernel extension, recompile your kernel and reboot (VERR_VMX_IN_VMX_ROOT_MODE).


With these details:



Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {6375231a-c17c-464b-92cb-ae9e128d71c3}


To solve this We have to disable KVM modules using the following commands:


sudo rmmod kvm_intel
sudo rmmod kvm


Now the VM starts without any problem.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

David L said...

I was using Ubuntu 10.04 and version 3.2.8 r....
and a 'scientific' approach of trial and error....

1. make sure that no KVM modules are loaded
lsmod | grep kvm
should come up empty

2. execute mysterious code:
export VBOX_HMVIRTEX_IGNORE_SVM_IN_USE=1
(?????)

3. Open VirtualBox
VirtualBox

4. create new machine with the old .vdi vile (machine_name.vdi)
5. start!

6. *earlier I also did the following:
chmod 777 some /Machines/machine_name
but I dont know if that was required.

fixed it for me. ms office here I come!!!!
thanks