23 Nov 2009

Kernel update broke NVidia driver

I just installed a new Kernel version (2.6.31-15) using a deb package and then rebooted, just to discover that the GDM would not start and I couldn't even log into the shell on tty1 because it kept flickering, trying to come up with X, I guess...

Then I restarted the machine and selected 'recover mode' on grub screen, to check the logs and find out what the problem was.

Removing xorg.conf from /etc/X11 and then rebooting brought me back X but without Nvidia drivers so I went to System/Administration/Hardware Drivers and tried to activate but nothing happened.

After some research I found out that the new kernel could not load the NVidia drivers because it didn't have the kernel headers needed by the driver.

To solve that I went to tty1, stopped X:
sudo service gdm stop

And then installed the kernel headers as follows:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.31-15-generic

Rebooted and everything was back on track.

No comments: